Saturday, May 17, 2008

Defacating on the Streets

Early on in our first orientation meeting we were told not to be loud obnoxious drunks during our stay in Italy, and that if we were the locals would look at us like we defacated on their street. What we didn't know was that the streets are already filled with fecal discharge of a different kind. Walking down most streets in Rome you need to keep one eye behind you so you don't get run over, one eye roaming so that you can take in all of culture around you and yet another eye on the ground so you make sure to avoid the dog feces that is scattered from street to street. So far I haven't been hit by a car/bike and have been appreciating my surroundings at all times. Unfortunately my feet have found the poop before my "third eye" has. There are dogs of all shapes and sizes in Rome and they leave behind a little piece of themselves wherever they go. This isn't surprising as they are animals, what I do find surprising thought is the response of their human owner. I haven't seen one owner with a little plastic bag as they walk their dog and absolutely no signs that encourage such maintenance.

No comments: