Saturday, May 17, 2008

Transportation

These cars are wild, and so are their drivers. In the states if I see a hummer taking up more than one parking space I would refer to the driver with any number of derogatory terms. Here I feel that Italians think similar thoughts of anyone driving a car that has more 2 doors or is longer than 6 feet in length. There tiny cars are parked anywhere there is just a little bit of space and some places where cars don't belong at all, like sidewalks. Crazier than the smart cars, and models like it, are the motor scooters. I was warned about these scooter drivers and their lack of concern for pedestrians let alone stop lights and traffic signals. I didn't think much of it until I was nearly hit by one crossing the street. That will wake you up in the morning. One of the most entertaining aspects of the motor scooter drivers is their derby style free-for-all at every green light. This occurs when the drivers snake their way through the cars to get to the front of the pack and when the light finally turns its thumb to the metal and they are off. Don't get in the way.

No comments: