Tuesday, May 27, 2008

German Food

I have grown up eating variations of all food types including German. Since I am one quarter German in heritage some of the food that I had growing up was distinctly German, like sausage and sauerkraut. Once in downtown Frankfurt, though, I realized that the German cuisine I had grown up with was a far cry from what I was about to experience. We toured the city and ate about 5 meals a day because we wanted to eat as many native German meals that we could. The three varieties of German food that stood out the most were the sauerkraut, bratwurst, and schnitzel. Bratwurst was avaialable on many street corners and at tent vendors that popped up in markets all over the city. These sausages were prepared as if they were American hot dogs but were much different in taste, and dare I say much better. The schnitzel was more of a restaurant style meal. It is always breaded and fried and served with lemon. The portions were large and I ate all of it. Finally, the sauerkraut. I never thought that I would admit to enjoying cabbage of any variety, but this stuff blew my mind. Sauerkraut tasted incredible but like most of the German food that we ate, it was a little tough on the digestive system. Happy eating!

No comments: