Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Colosseum Russian Ritual

So after the first time that I ever went inside the Colosseum I am choosing to blog about what happened outside of it instead. As my friends and I exited the Colosseum we saw some women dressed in strange costumes. As we neared we noticed that they were no older than 17 and they had two young boys near them dressed in even more extravagant attire. The next thing I knew people began to clap and shout. This was some sort of signal for the young boy who jumped out into the middle of this human made circle and began to “dance.” This dancing was more of a rigid jumping and stomping, paired with sharp precise movements of his hands and arms. One girl joined him but her dance was a slow majestic movement, the exact opposite of the boy’s. I labeled these people as Russian but I honestly don’t know where they could have been from. The dancing lasted about 10 minutes with several partners taking part. I want to assume that this was a wedding, a communion, a confirmation, or something else but to do that would be an insult to a culture that I know nothing about. Maybe it was just a formal way of picking up girls. If that was the case, I have a lot to learn.

No comments: