Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ostia Antica - Theater

The theater at Ostia Antica was more than a place, it was an experience. This space was designed by and for Romans who lived in the suburb on the Tiber river. There would be plays, operas, and other forms of entertainment that used the stage. The first three rows were made of white marble and were reserved for the "higher-ups" in the Ostian society. What was most interesting about the theater, though, was the feeling I got when I was sitting there. As I sat there I watched a group of ballet dancers practice a performance that probably would be put on for a public audience later that night. As I watched I thought of how many people and cultures had preformed on that very stage over the thousands of years of its existence. I wonder for how many more centuries this place will be dedicated to entertainment.

No comments: